Educations & Honors
B.A., Botany, Connecticut College, New London, CT, 1984
- Betty Flanders Thomson Prize for Excellence in Botany
- Distinction in the Major of Botany
- Cum Laude, and Dean’s List each semester
Roswell Infographics, Baltimore, MD, April 2008 – Present
- Building Drupal, WordPress and NationBuilder websites for clients.
- Key clients include the Palestine Poster Project Archives, the League of Conservation Voters, the Baltimore Orchard Project, and the Maryland Offshore Wind Coalition
Drupal 5 Views Recipes, Packt Publishing 2008 – 2009
- First book available on the Views module
- Provided step-by-step instruction for a variety of website building tasks
- Compiled detailed appendices, including comprehensive list of Drupal Field Formatters, Style Plugins, selected noteworthy pages, and additional resources
Community IT Innovators (CITI), Washington, DC, February 2007 – March 2008
- Create websites using four CMS systems (Drupal, Joomla, In-house ColdFusion CMS, WildApricot).
Clients included the National Recycling Coalition, Chesapeake Climate Action Network, MANNA, Land Trust Accreditation Coalition, Homefree USA, and Capital Hill Day School.
- Developed PDF forms
- Installed Blogspot and WordPress blogs for clients
- Installed Google Analytics, and other miscellaneous systems
- Wrote and reviewed client sales proposals
- Presented “Brown Bags” on GIS, Regular Expressions, Drupal, Firebug, etc.
UMBC Center for Health Program Development and Management, Baltimore, MD, 1995 – February, 2007
- Generated clear, attractive maps and reports using advanced skills in Geographic Information Systems (GIS), database management, programming, desktop publishing, and graphic design.
- Prepared Center’s Medicaid data documentation.
- Developed video training program for all Center staff; Developed HealthChoice Resource Directory.
The Townsend Letter for Doctors and Patients, 2002 – 2008
- My column, Web Page Potpourri, was devoted to informative integrative health resources on the Internet.
Recycling Program Technician
Baltimore City Office of Recycling, 1993 – 1995
- Wrote MapBasic program called “Recycler,” which transformed productivity, and was still used for years after I left.
- Managed Baltimore City School Recycling Program. Made presentations to schools and community associations.
- Produced publications for city-wide distribution.
Mayor’s Campaign for a Cleaner Baltimore, 1992
- Designed recycling promotional materials, including City-wide recycling schedule, Block Captain handbook, block captain database, tonnage analysis spreadsheet, and various maps.
Citizens Planning and Housing Association, Baltimore, MD, 1990 – 1991
- Provided central contact for recycling information in Baltimore. Maintained ongoing database of almost 1000 recycling contacts. Conceived of, published and distributed The Baltimore Recycler, a monthly newsletter.
- Produced and updated the Recycling Guide (4 editions, over 17,000 copies distributed). Coordinated Mobile Recycling Exhibit. Developed substantial recycling library. Promoted recycling at community associations, schools, hearings, as well as on television and radio.
ComputerLand, Baltimore, MD, 1986 – 1991
- Taught and developed curriculum for professional seminars in desktop publishing, word processing, database management, computer hardware, and DOS. Provided telephone support to customers, and did on-site software and hardware installations.
Boards and Commissions
- Founding Leader and Presenter, Baltimore WordPress Meetup
- Board Member, Real Food Farm
- Member, Health and Mental Health Committee, Jacob and Hilda Blaustein Foundation
- Director, Elizabeth B. and Arthur E. Roswell Foundation
- Past Board Member, Maryland League of Conservation Voters
- Past Board Member, Baltimore City League of Environmental Voters
- Past Member, Mayor’s Bicycle Advisory Committee
- Past Member, Mayor’s Commission on Resource Conservation and Recycling
- Mac OS X
- Tableau Public
- Google Maps
- Google Earth
- MapInfo / MapBasic
- Maptitude (International Maptitude listserv founder)
- Instant Atlas
- CSS, SCSS
- HTML, XML, JSON, Wiki Markup, Liquid
- MAMP, XAMPP, functional Linux server administration
- Vim, PSPad, TextPad, Eclipse, Komodo, Coda, Dreamweaver
- Regular Expressions
- Drupal (Views, CCK, ImageCache, etc.)
- jQuery UI
- Google Maps, Maptitude for the Web, InstantAtlas
- ColdFusion (rusty skillset)
- Firebug, Web Developer, ColorZilla, and additional Add-Ons
- Firefox / Chrome / Safari
Layout and Design
- Liquid Layout
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Adobe Acrobat and LiveCycle Forms
- PowerPoint / Google Presentation / Slideshare / SlideRocket
- Pixlr, FotoFlexer, Shrink Pictures (I am functional in Photoshop, but most of my real-world image editing needs are met by online apps.)
- Microsoft Access
- SAS (Rusty skill)
- MS Office
- Google Docs
- Final Cut Pro
- TiddlyWiki, MediaWiki